[om] DefMP elements

Bill Naylor Bill.Naylor at mcs.vuw.ac.nz
Tue Dec 2 22:53:43 CET 2003

> Hi Bill,
>
> You might want to look at James' proposals for OpenMath 2 in this area.
> There are some slides and a short paper on the website under
> http://www.openmath.org/meetings/bremen2003/index.html.
>
> Cheers, Mike.

Yes, I had looked at this. There are two points made on the slides which
are worth discussion.

1) Dissallowing self reference during a defining FMP, therefore
dissallowing recursive definition.

2) Dissallowing multiple defining FMPs, therefore dissallowing different
but logically equivalent FMPs, e.g. a definition in terms of integrals
versus a definition in terms of recurence relations.

I'm sure there was discussion about this at Bremen, unfortunatly (for me)
I wasn't there (it is quite far from NZ! ;-) ), so didn't hear this. I do
not see the short paper you mention. Can you provide an exact URL for it,
or failing that, maybe a short synopsis of the resolutions of the two
points I've just made (please)?

thanks,

Bill

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org