[om] DefMP elements

Mike Dewar miked at nag.co.uk
Wed Dec 3 11:19:15 CET 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 10:53:43AM +1300, Bill Naylor wrote:
> Yes, I had looked at this. There are two points made on the slides which
> are worth discussion.
>
> 1) Dissallowing self reference during a defining FMP, therefore
> dissallowing recursive definition.
I think the feeling at Bremen was that this was generally a good thing
for the defining case.  It is of course quite legal for the evaluating
case.

> 2) Dissallowing multiple defining FMPs, therefore dissallowing different
> but logically equivalent FMPs, e.g. a definition in terms of integrals
> versus a definition in terms of recurence relations.
This was questioned at Bremen and the general feeling was that unless
James had a justification for it that wasn't mentioned in his paper then
it should be dropped.

> I'm sure there was discussion about this at Bremen, unfortunatly (for me)
> I wasn't there (it is quite far from NZ! ;-) ), so didn't hear this. I do
> not see the short paper you mention. Can you provide an exact URL for it,
It wasn't there initially because we wanted to check with James that he
didn't mind us putting it on the web.  However it was there when I sent
the email mentioning it, it is listed as an accompanying paper or you
could try the URL http://www.openmath.org/meetings/bremen2003/DefMPPaper.pdf.

> or failing that, maybe a short synopsis of the resolutions of the two
> points I've just made (please)?
Is the above short enough :-)

Cheers, Mike.

http://www.star.net.uk