[om] OM Floats (XML Representation)

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Tue Dec 9 15:17:22 CET 2003

James
  Right, and the thing to note (as we said at the weekend, I recall) is that
  xsd will say that, at XML level, NaN=NaN (where NaN is the specific
  representation that I thought you could say by <OMF NaN/>, but that
  doesn't seem to be in the standard).

the specific proposal that I made to start this thread was that we
should allow <OMF dec="NaN"/> as a human readable way to input (some)
NaN value to be used in addition to the only way that was supported in
OM1 which was/is <OMF hex="some bit pattern expressed in hex"/>

  It will also say, that, at the XML
  level, any two hex representations are equal (even NaN-valued ones),

I don't understand what you mean here, the xsd representation of the hex
attribute is a string constrained by the regexp [0-9A-Z]+ so equality
(as far as xsd is concerned) is just string equality. Did you mean that
(different) hex representations are _not_ equal for xsd? If so I aggree
with that, and also with:

  It certainly does not authorise replacement of one NaN by another.

David

http://www.star.net.uk
Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org