[om] About OMV and indexing

Manfred Riem mriem at win.tue.nl
Mon Jan 26 13:50:44 CET 2004

Hi all,

I have been reading the latest draft for OpenMath2 at

  http://www.openmath.org/cocoon/openmath/standard/om20/omstd20html.xml

and I was wondering how I should view indexed variables semantically? Is the
index merely to be viewed as sugar to give it a nice rendering? If not, can
anyone explain me how I should view it otherwise?

If one would take a CS approach it would be an index into an array of
OpenMath objects.
If that is the case one could argue that it could be easily written as:

<OMA>
 <OMV name="i"/>
 <OMI>1</OMI>
</OMA>

Where the variable 'i' then would be referring to an OpenMath 'vector/array'
that has several elements.

Regards,
Manfred.

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org