[Om] SCOVO: Statistical Core Vocabulary

Christoph LANGE ch.lange at jacobs-university.de
Wed Jan 27 04:37:26 CET 2010

Dear James, dear all,

  yet another report on how the semantic web community represents units:  The
Statistical Core Vocabulary, designed for representing statistical data on the
semantic web (http://sw-app.org/pub/eswc09-inuse-scovo.pdf), also deals with
units.  Some very superficial first impressions:

* Representing statistical facts (previously hidden in databases) in a more
  semantic way has a great potential; see the related approaches mentioned in
  that paper.
* Statistical databases need units.
* SCOVO has a very basic ontology of units
* SCOVO is designed by several "big players" in the semantic web community and
  seems to work well for them; so I think they wouldn't be interested in using
  OpenMath, but on the other hand:
  * it could nevertheless make sense to contact them
  * we might encounter them in future meetings on standardizing unit
    representation
  * maybe there is something that can be learnt from SCOVO

Cheers,

Christoph