[Om] OpenMath 2010

Christoph LANGE ch.lange at jacobs-university.de
Fri Jul 16 12:52:19 CEST 2010

> On 15/07/2010 23:07, Professor James Davenport wrote:
>  > In OpenMath, cdbase can be inherited from any parent, which is the
>  > same as MathML. OpenMath defaults to http://www.openmath.org/CD, but
>  > MathML says that it is inherited from the mathematics embedding
>  > mechanism.
>
> There is no difference between MathML and OpenMath here. In the  XML
> encoding of OM the OM standard says
>
> http://www.openmath.org/standard/om20-2004-06-30/omstd20html-3.xml#sec_xml-desc
>

> If a symbol does not have an explicit cdbase
> attribute, then it inherits its cdbase from the
> first ancestor in the XML tree with one, should such an element
> exist.
>

> the "XML Tree" wording was not accidental, and it allows for this
> attribute to be inherited from outside the openmath elements from a
> containing document element, just as in MathML.

IIRC Michael's point was that the embedding document format should not be
forced to carry around @cdbase attributes.  I think he imagines something like
the spec of some embedding format saying "the default CDBase, when OpenMath
objects are embedded into this format, is ...".  Consider OMDoc.  OMDoc does
not have CDBase attributes; instead <OMS cd="C" name="N"/> means "if we are
inside a theory, check if any of the imported theories has the name C, and if
so, assume the base URI of that theory as CDBase for that OMS".

>  > Q. Should there be a reference translator (Strict,OpenMath)?
>  > A. DPC has such things
>
> I don't think there needs to be a reference translator (we never had an
> official reference translator between xml and binary encodings for
> example) The current Cd presentation includes the translator, you'll see
> "strict content mathml" in the xhtml view even though the CD file only
> has OM.

The way I understood this was that people might want this as a reusable
standalone implementation.

Cheers,

Christoph