[Om] Adding DLMF links to CDs [Re: How to translate csymbol/@definitionURL]

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Sun Jul 18 13:16:21 CEST 2010

On 18/07/2010 11:37, Christoph LANGE wrote:
> It took me some time to realize that.  Before this discussion, I had thought
> that the OpenMath CD language merely has an awkward way of dealing with URIs,
> but otherwise is more expressive than RDFS.

what we found in monet was that syntactic awkwardness wasn't really the
issue, so much as tool support. It would clearly be possible to come up
with an encoding for rdfs (or owl) using openmath elements but the
resulting expressions wouldn't be natural to use for openmath tools and
wouldn't be usable at all by owl/rdf reasoners. If instead you extract
that subset of the information in the CDs that is amenable to RDF/OWL
reasoning engines into separate files using one of the standard syntaxes
for those languages then you got the most out of each community's tool
set (at some administrative cost in making sure the various files and
formats were in sync)

David