[Om] MSC for papers about MathML or OpenMath

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom at residenset.net
Tue May 8 12:09:36 CEST 2012

Michael Kohlhase skrev 2012-05-08 11.19:
> Dear all,
>
> I have been asked to provide a MSC (Math Subject Classification; see
> http://ams.org/msc) class for a paper about OpenMath and MathML, and I am a
> bit at a loss.

I myself often feel that MSC categorises things in a rather odd way, not
seldom ending up with some ???99 (None of the above, but in this category)
class as best match.

> The only thing that is remotely appliccable seems to be
>
> 01-08 Computational methods

Only if it is taking a historical perspective. (01-xx = History and biography)

I'd say top level categories 03 (Mathematical logic and foundations) and 68
(Computer science) may hold better matches for "OpenMath and MathML in general".

> am I missing something?

The MSC is very much organised by the type of mathematics done, so even if
it may be hard to find an MSC code that covers OM in general, it may be
feasible to find one for the application of OM in that particular paper.

Lars Hellström