[Om] Named functions in OpenMath

Wenzel, Ken Ken.Wenzel at iwu.fraunhofer.de
Fri May 8 10:43:10 CEST 2015

Thank you for your suggestions.

I have one last question regarding symbols (OMS) vs. references (OMR):
I've developed an RDF representation for OpenMath objects that allows to encode arbitrary OM objects in RDF.

For example, the expression "x^2" may be encoded as (using the Turtle notation):

@prefix : <http://numerateweb.org/vocab/math#> .
_:expr a :Application ; :operator <http://www.openmath.org/cd/arith1#power> ; :arguments (_:x 2) .
_:x a :Variable ; :name "x" .

As can be seen, the operator <http://www.openmath.org/cd/arith1#power> has no type information.
It may be possible that it is defined (somewhere else) as a symbol by

<http://www.openmath.org/cd/arith1#power> a :Symbol .

or that it is just a reference to some kind of lambda expression.

If i convert the RDF representation to OpenMath XML and I don't know any facts about
<http://www.openmath.org/cd/arith1#power> should I suppose that it is a symbol or a reference?

Best regards,
Ken