[Om] Named functions in OpenMath

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Fri May 8 11:55:58 CEST 2015

On 08/05/2015 09:43, Wenzel, Ken wrote:
> Thank you for your suggestions.
>
> I have one last question regarding symbols (OMS) vs. references (OMR):
> I've developed an RDF representation for OpenMath objects that allows to encode arbitrary OM objects in RDF.
>
> For example, the expression "x^2" may be encoded as (using the Turtle notation):
>
> @prefix : <http://numerateweb.org/vocab/math#> .
> _:expr a :Application ; :operator <http://www.openmath.org/cd/arith1#power> ; :arguments (_:x 2) .
> _:x a :Variable ; :name "x" .
>
> As can be seen, the operator <http://www.openmath.org/cd/arith1#power> has no type information.
> It may be possible that it is defined (somewhere else) as a symbol by
>
> <http://www.openmath.org/cd/arith1#power> a :Symbol .
>
> or that it is just a reference to some kind of lambda expression.
>
> If i convert the RDF representation to OpenMath XML and I don't know any facts about
> <http://www.openmath.org/cd/arith1#power> should I suppose that it is a symbol or a reference?
>
> Best regards,
> Ken

I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but an OMR doesn't have a
name and always references an explicit openmath object.

thus the named symbol "power" must be an OpenMath Symbol?

David

The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 1249803. The registered office is:

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Microsoft Office 365.