[Om] Named functions in OpenMath

Wenzel, Ken Ken.Wenzel at iwu.fraunhofer.de
Fri May 8 12:36:10 CEST 2015

I could also have done something like:
_:expr a :Application ; :operator _:someOp ; :arguments (_:x 2) .
_:someOp a :Reference ; :target <http://www.openmath.org/cd/arith1#power> .

This makes clear that _:someOp (which is a blank node in RDF) is a reference to
an object named <http://www.openmath.org/cd/arith1#power>.

Or I could also have:

_:expr a :Application ; :operator _:someOp ; :arguments (_:x 2) .
_:someOp a :Symbol ; :name <http://www.openmath.org/cd/arith1#power> .

This makes clear that _:someOp should be regarded as a Symbol in this context.

These notations are comparable to <OMR> and <OMS> elements in OpenMath.
Both elements give explicit typing information to the referenced object at the point where they are used.
This means that a user of <OMR> or <OMS> must know beforehand if he wants to refer to another object or to a symbol.

Now the question is if it would be desirable (and possible) to have a unified mechanism that allows to reference
symbols or other OpenMath objects with one element (like <OMR>).

Then the decision if the referenced object is a symbol or another OpenMath object is made at the time
when the OpenMath object is interpreted and not at the time of writing.
This also simplifies the representation in RDF to:

 _:expr a :Application ; :operator <http://www.openmath.org/cd/arith1#power> ; :arguments (_:x 2) .

Now <http://www.openmath.org/cd/arith1#power> can be described as

<http://www.openmath.org/cd/arith1#power> a :Symbol .

or