[Om] Call for Discussion: CD editing process (technical)

Michael Kohlhase michael.kohlhase at fau.de
Wed May 30 17:34:48 CEST 2018

Dear James, dear all,

On 29.04.18 11:15, James Davenport wrote:
> Thanks for starting this debate: a useful corollary to the decision to
> go GitHub. I propose that “CD Editor” becomes plural, and we start
> having a team.
I second that, that would get us around the
"single-point-of-failure/delay" problem.
> I have no immediate intention of stepping down, but Michael’s Post has
> made me realise how ad hominem the current system is. Presumably the
> editors should essentially (I.e. apart from sysadmins) be those with
> push rights to this repository.
I would suggest a new "team" of CD Editors at the GithHub level, and
have three editors and James as Editor-in-chief. a
> A change log would be necessary.
I think the GitHub log should be sufficient, if people give good commit
messages.

Michael
> I wonder (no real views either way - what do those with experience of
> larger/longer lasting projects think) whether a simple text (probably
> actually HTML) file will suffice.
>
> James
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 29 Apr 2018, at 09:42, Michael Kohlhase <michael.kohlhase at fau.de
> <mailto:michael.kohlhase at fau.de>> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> as you know, we have been reorganizing the OpenMath resources and web
>> site as multiple repositories at [1]
>>
>> In particular we have the new CDs repository [2], which has the CD
>> resources and feeds the CD web site [3]
>>
>> The idea is that [2] should facilitate CD development by providing
>> public source access, issues, pull requests, and notifications. Now,
>> the first outside user (Jacob Beal) has taken advantage of this first
>> by raising an issue [4], and then providing a pull request [5] which
>> is currently being discussed. In a nutshell the proposal is to add
>> negated binary connectives nor, nand, and nxor to logic1.ocd.
>>
>> So far so good, but this raises the question of how the CD approval
>> process should be organized (technically).
>>
>> The OpenMath Standard [6] only says
>>

>>       > 4.5 Content Dictionaries Reviewing Process
>>
>> > The /OpenMath/ Society is responsible for implementing a review and
>> referee
>> > process to assess the accuracy of the mathematical content of
>> Content Dictionaries.
>> > The status (see |CDStatus|) and/or the version number (see
>> |CDVersion| ) of a Content |
>> > Dictionary may change as a result of this review process.
>>
>> which leaves the process open and the OpenMath Society delegates the
>> responsibility to its CD Editor (James Davenport).
>>
>> James and I have started discussing the technical process of
>> approving CD revisions. We propose that we make the GitHub-supported
>> process we have started with Jacob's proposal the standard and
>> document it in the README of  [2].
>>
>> Here is what we think the process should be.
>>
>>  1. An extension proposal is made via a GitHub issue at [2] and
>>     discussed there.
>>  2. The discussion is concretized into a pull request (PR) to [2]
>>     that is discussed further on the PR (including inline comments)
>>     until all issues are resolved.
>>  3. James explicitly approves the PR and someone with push rights
>>     merges it.
>>  4. the changes are announced and added to a changelog.
>>
>> We would like your input on this proposal (in particular what we
>> should do for 4.)
>>
>> James & Michael
>>

>> [1] https://github.com/OpenMath
>>
>> [2] https://github.com/OpenMath/CDs
>>
>> [3] http://openmath.org/cd/
>>
>> [4] https://github.com/OpenMath/CDs/issues/32
>>
>> [5] https://github.com/OpenMath/CDs/pull/34
>>
>> [6]
>> http://www.openmath.org/standard/om20-2017-07-22/omstd20.html#cdapprove
>>
>> [7]
>>
>> --

Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,  http://kwarc.info/kohlhase, skype: mibein42

Professur für Wissensrepräsentation & -verarbeitung
  Informatik, FAU Erlangen Nürnberg, Martensstr. 3, D-91058 Erlangen, Room 11.139,
  tel/fax: (49) 9131-85-64052/55, michael.kohlhase at fau.de