[Om3] CDSignatures/@cd, CDSignatures/@type: how to resolve?

James Davenport J.H.Davenport at bath.ac.uk
Fri May 9 13:07:42 CEST 2008

On Fri, 9 May 2008, David Carlisle wrote:
> JHD wrote
> > Something does seem to be wrong, but it may be my own ignorance.
> > Let me ask a stupid question. When I say
> > <OMS name="plus" cd ="arith1"/>
> > I mean 'the standard arith1'. Can you refresh my memory on how that
> > intention is implemented?
>
> I think historically it was implemented by whatever your system wanted
> to implement. There are good reasons for that, OM systems are not all
> web facing, or even web aware. however OM2 did add a sort of hint that
> you might want to generate URI out of a CD and symbol name, and OM3 (and
> certainly MathML3) make that association rather more strongly.
Sorry - poor wording on my part. What I meant to say is "what is meant by
'the standard arith1'?". As I see it, in the absence of an EXPLICIT
CDbase, the application is meant to know, either inherently OR by going to
www.openmath.org, the semantics of the OMS.
> I suspect that the simplest (and perhaps even best) thing to do is just
> to specify that CD names are taken relative to the system's CDBase, and
I don't understand (this may be because I don't speak RDF) what is meant
by "the system's CDBase".
> > > Then @type="sts" would resolve to http://url/of/sts.ocd, and
> > > @cd="foo"
> > I would seriously hope not - I would like it to refer to 'the standard
> > sts' as with "arith1" above.
>
> I don't think the CDbase should resolve automatically to the base URI of
> the signature file.
I'm not sure if we agree here, or not.

James