[Om3] target K14 for reading content-math spec any realistic?

Michael Kohlhase m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de
Wed Sep 10 05:54:51 CEST 2008

Chris Rowley wrote:
> Michael and Paul wrote --
>

>>> The <Description> elements should be self-contained and understandable
>>> for K-14 literates. The rest of the CDs will give more meaning, if the
>>> CD author can be bothered to write it down. As such, the
>>> interoperability question discussed below are at the FMP level (i.e.
>>> in
>>> the rest of the CD) and in particular not in Chapter 4 of the
>>> MathML3 spec.
>>>
>> So you believe there is a possibility to write the descriptions that
>> will sip into chapter 4 readable by a "K14-literate"?
>> Can you elaborate here, does it mean a starting student at a
>> university in Europe or elsewhere?
>>

> My understanding of this would be:
>
> That the mathematical ideas/words in the description should mostly be
> understandable by most people who have both:
>
> -- successfully completed such a mathematical training (although they may
> have to go and look in wikipedia for some bits that they did not cover
> or have forgotten);
>
> -- and still have some interest in the maths and the motivation to
> understand the descriptions.
>
> [I am fairly sure that in at least one European country 2 does not
> apply to most starting maths students and maybe not 1!]
>
> Opinion: I think that this class of people must be a superset of this class: of
>
> -- engineers who would normally be expected to need to understand the
> maths in these descriptions.
>

>> As per my first mail in this thread, you can see I doubt of that.
>>
>> "a minimal wording for interoperability between expected processors
>> that can be read by normal engineers with some time to read extra
>> references"
>> is the best I can suggest as a description of the descriptions... it
>> is not "k14-readable' to my taste!
>>

> @Michael: does your informal definition agree with mine?

yes, I think that this is a very good description of what I mean with
K-14 literate. I think that the second bit is important, since it allows
us to assume the will to do some thinking about what we write in the
spec. Let us adopt this as the intended audience.
> @Doubting Paul: does this help?
>

> chris

 Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,       Office: Research 1, Room 62
 Professor of Computer Science     Campus Ring 12,
 School of Engineering & Science   D-28759 Bremen, Germany
 Jacobs University Bremen*         tel/fax: +49 421 200-3140/-493140
 m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de http://kwarc.info/kohlhase
 skype: m.kohlhase   * International University Bremen until Feb. 2007