[Om3] Urgent wiki question: How would you like your metadata?

Christoph LANGE ch.lange at jacobs-university.de
Wed Sep 24 15:26:53 CEST 2008

Dear all,

  during the implementation of metadata editing, which is still causing some
trouble w.r.t. the normal editing mode, it turned out that I can actually
offer you a choice.  So please let me know ASAP how you would prefer editing
metadata (such as Name, CDRevision, ...):

1. database-like, order doesn't matter
2. document-like, order matters

ad 1.: there is already the form-based metadata editor, which will remain
available in any case, as I always extract the metadata to RDF.  Now the
easiest implementation of metadata editing would solely rely on that editing
form, and on export (= commit to svn) the metadata would be included into the
CD document in a fixed order, such as the "standard" order that is also
implemented in the CD->XHTML XSLTs.

ad 2.: if order matters, I will at least have to keep placeholders for
metadata (that have been extracted to RDF) in the markup that you see in the
"edit" text area.  While it would be possible to hide them, it is potentially
dangerous, as one might accidentally delete them.  Showing them and not making
them editable would also work, but I think that's not intuitive.  So the only
reasonable choice in this case is to offer full document-like editing of
metadata in the editor, as an alternative to the form-based editor.

Either 1 or 2 is possible for me to implement, and now that I've got the
concepts right, I'm convinced that I can deliver it fast and without too many
bugs.

Cheers, and thanks,

Christoph

--