[Om3] Arity of OMBIND. Procedural question

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom at residenset.net
Thu Feb 24 18:25:27 CET 2011

Dear OpenMath Community,

the thing I would most like to see changed in the current standard (well, not
counting fixing the downright but minor errors) is to lift the restriction on
OMBIND that it must have exactly three children. Rather, I think it should
(like OMA) allow any number of children, as long as the first is the binder
(typically a symbol) and the second is the OMBVAR with the variables it
binds. Since this issue was last up for discussion (two years ago, I think),
I have furthermore become aware of a new use-case: Lindström quantifiers.

What I'm not quite sure about is how to proceed. We're now in -- is it week 2
or week 3? -- of the first round of the "OpenMath2+ Process". This issue
(like pretty much all issues that have been raised so far, I think) belong in
round 2 (OMOBJ). Does that mean I should have a Standard Enhancement Proposal
written out by the start of that round? (What date would that round start
at?) What should one do with a SEP -- put it on the net somewhere and post
its URL to the list?

Finally, for this particular issue, I seem to recall Prof. Davenport already
had something akin to a SEP, so maybe amending that would be better than
writing something new from scratch...

Lars Hellström